What is HIFU?
HIFU(High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound) is one of the most innovative non-invasive technologies used high frequency ultrasound energy to stimulate skin rejuvenation, collagen and elastin synthesis. Several studies reported satisfactory results using HIFU for lifting or tightening of the lax skin.
Can HIFU Therapy rejuvenate the skin?
Yes, there are several studies reported satisfactory results using HIFU for lifting or tightening of the lax skin.
Is HIFU painful?
All area of face is not equal term in pain sensation. Some area such as forehead may have little pain but most area are not. Normally patients feel comfortable during HIFU treatment without numbing cream.
HIFU is non-invasive treatment. After HIFU treatment, patient can go shopping or working without downtime (no wound, no bruise)
HIFU has many factors effect treatment results.
1. There are many models of HIFU in the market. Each model has different energy output that effect treatment results.
2. The treatment result also depends on doctor’s technique and experience. That means the machine may show different result if the HIFU treatment is done by different doctors.
Where should we get HIFU treatment?
Because there are many HIFU models and the treatment results depend on the technique, so you should be done in the standard clinic with experienced doctor.
The HIFU price is in the wide range around 7,000-50,000 Baht depended on machine model, doctor’s experience and service level.
Dr.Piyawat Poomsuwan reviews studies in effectiveness and safety of HIFU.
1. Ultrasound(HIFU) appears to be a safe and effective modality for facial tightening.
(from Journal of American Academy Dematology,2010;62:262-4)
2. Intense focused ultrasound can be used as a non-invasive skin tightening technique in Asian patients. It induced collagen generation in the dermis and fat layers and was effective and safe in our study population. (from Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy,2012;14:290-295)
3. Ultrasound(HIFU) can be effective and safe in the treatment of decreased laxity of the lower eyelids. (from Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy,2012;14:290-295)
4. HIFU affects deep tissues and impacts focal regions. Monopolar RF also affects deep tissues, but impacts diffuse regions. (from Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy,2015;17:230-236)
5. HIFU devices tested can be used safely and effectively for facial tightening. (from Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy,2016;18:252-256)
HIFU review case
Dr.Piyawat Poomsuwan retrospectively studied his own 15 patients treated with HIFU. The study compare patients’ picture taken at Day 0(1st HIFU) and 8 weeks after HIFU. To prevent the technique factor that effect the results, Dr.Piyawat Poomsuwan did HIFU treatment for all patients. To prevent the bias, another doctor, who have experience in dermatological research, compare before-after pictures to evaluate HUFU results by scoring 1-5. 1 is no improvement. 2 is little improvement. 3 is moderate improvement. 4 is good improvement. 5 is excellent improvement
The study show : moderate improvement 1 case, Good improvement 5 cases and excellent improvement 9 cases.
We show sample in our study. The pictures are allowed from the patient to show.